Monday, January 3, 2011

FIRST GIVEAWAY, YOU CHOOSE

        WOOF! GIVEAWAY  TIME!!  WOOF!

This is "Bullet"! Our beautiful 8 year old rottweiler. She is such a suck it's pathetic. She's also the only other female in the house.

 I had an idea to help the S.P.C.A. in our area by making dog coats and either selling them with the proceeds going to the shelter or giving the coats directly to the shelter, I'm not sure yet which way to go here. Any suggestions?

I want to make this year the turning point for me, no doubt something I should have done a long time ago. I've participated in a few "quilt-alongs" to help out and it feels so great joining in!

 I received a dog coat pattern for free last year from one of my  blogland friends so it just makes sense to use the pattern for, what I hope is, a whole lot of good to some very deserving furry friends. 

I think a name for the project would be a good thing too. I'm tossing around a couple but they don't have the punch I want.

So do you have any suggestions for a name and what are your thoughts, sell and donate the money OR donate the coats?

In the spirit of a new year,  I'm going to have my FIRST GIVEAWAY !!!  I'll pick a name from those that enter and the winner will have a choice of a "dog coat and a surprise" or a "box pouch"!
                                             {not exactly as shown, will be different fabric}

 How's that sound? Let's have the closing date JANUARY 12, 2011. Let me know if you've blogged about my giveaway for a second chance. You don't have to become a follower but it would be nice too!

So please spread the word and help me help Bullet's buddies!
                                               

28 comments:

  1. Hello Carolyn,

    Good on you for looking after the dogs,making the coats will certainly be a great thing. As for the name of it you may have already hit it with "Bullet's Buddies" Good luck with it.
    Happy days.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Carolyn,

    you would not believe the word verifications for my comment was "whine"

    How appropriate these are sometimes.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a very good idea going. You might ask the shelter which they would rather have, coats or cash. I am a big believer in supporting animal shelters. Both my kitties are shelter rescues, and the vet I use is a big shelter supporter. Those people work so hard for the animals, and it costs so much to keep a shelter running. I don't have a dog, but I'd love to win your box pouch! What a cute little bag, I don't think I've ever seen one like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have two rescue dogs! its the best way to go. Thanks for making the doggie coats and what a lovely giveaway. I would choose a doggie coat and surprise! I signed up to be a follower - I came over from The Confused Quilter :) Thanks and happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bullet's Buddies is the perfect name, I think. And all my dogs are rescue dogs, I'm a strong believer in adopting :) It would probably be a good idea to ask the shelter if they would prefer money or coats, but in my experience they are happy to get anything that helps! I would choose a doggie coat, definitely! Thanks for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. he's so cute...we are a haven for lost/abandoned animals. We have 2 dogs and 2 cats that found us!!! How an some people be so mean!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a sweet baby :) I would love a little doggie coat for either one of my furbabies you can see them on my blog
    blissfulcrafting.blogspot.com
    My little Lola was a rescue from a horrible situation so I love what you are doing with the jackets!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a lovely idea. Why not do a little of both. Give them a few doggie coats and sell a few and give them the money as a small donation. Then they'll see if the coats go over well with Bullet's buddies. If it does, then you know that you'll be able to make more. :)

    I don't have a dog. I rent and my landlady won't allow us a pet. So I'll have to go with the box shaped bag. :)

    Thank you for such a lovely giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How about 'Togs to Help Dogs'? I think you should sell them and donate the money. Thanks for helping our furry friends in need!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just come over from Staci's blog to say Hi. I think I would try making the coats and selling them and give the donation to the shelters, then they can spend the money where it is needed the most. I am suppose to be making a coat for my jack russell but so far can't find any fleece that I like sooooo if I won this giveaway it would take the pressure of me for a while. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice giveaway. THe shelter would probably tell you which they would prefer, the coats to sell or have you sell them. Our dog hates to wear coats. He does sit very patiently though so we can take a picture. My kids buy him coats and hats and shirts, even a halloween costume. He is very patient. Love the little bag you have made.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, hello! Staci said you were lonely over here and I just wanted to pop over and say hi! That little bag is adorable...I've never made anything like that...zippers are not my friend...so I don't really prefer to use them. =) Yours looks beautiful! I'm trying to follow your blog but am having issues, so will try again later. =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea! I would suggest you do both in the short term and see which one nets you the best "profit" for the shelter. Sometimes selling things is harder even if more $ can be made for the shelter. Sometimes the coats would be needed more than the money. My point ask the shelter and try to sell so you can see how much you can get to donate.

    Now, as for my choice, if I still have one after that long winded answer... A dog coat! With 3 dogs, I'm certain it would come in handy. :) I'll post about your giveaway shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do have a dog and he's a Sheltie, the baby of the family! Tonight while my DH and I took him for a walk (minus 20 degrees below Celcius, not factoring in the wind chill) I was thinking that if I didn't have the dog, would I seriously be out here in the freezing cold?? Like, seriously??? So he doesn't need a coat - he has a ton of wooly fur to keep him warm but I think that you should make the coats and donate the profits to the shelter!! Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bullet you such an sweetie! What a lovely mush kissy face! I really like you idea of jumping right in with two feet and as a person who shares her life with a golden -- I totally get the dog appeal! Best of luck with your new inspiration and great giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super idea. My dog would love a coat! I think.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just a thought here, maybe donating the coats to the shelter would be better. If you sell them then donate the money, wouldn't you have to pay taxes on the income before writing it off? I don't know anything about sales...just wondering. I think that's how I would do it. People who like coats for their pets can purchase directly from the shelter; they keep the proceeds and it is usually tax exempt.
    I would choose the box pouch..no pooch here...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I blogged about your giveaway at: http://quiltyascharged.blogspot.com/2011/01/giveaway-at-tea-time-quilt-patch.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. How about Canine Coats? Couldn't you do both? Make some doggy coats for giveaway and some to sell and donate the money. I want to make bed pets for animal shelters. I need to call one of the shelters and ask what size I should make them. I want to stuff them with trimmings and scraps from my sewing projects. Congratulations on hosting your first giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your idea. I attempted to crochet my doggie a sweater but it did not work out so I would love to win a coat!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a good girl you are to want to help...I belong to a group that makes quilts for children in Children's Aid Society. We have had a lot of fleece donated that we don't use for quilts, so I callled our local shelter, and guess what, we're going to make blankets for the animals!!!Maybe you should ask the shelter what they'd prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great plan, I agree with one of the other entries, sell a few to raise some cash and give some directly to the shelter to see how they go over, maybe they could be given at the time of an adoption of a dog. I also saw the post from the Confused Quilter. Thank you for thinking of our four legged friends. Happy New Year! Melody A.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous idea and I think you could do a little of both. Too tired to think of any witty names tonight but if I do I'll come back and see you. I live in the frozen north and have a short haired stray. He has a coat made from an old sweater that I found (it fits him too, very weird) when we were out walking one day. It has a few holes in it though so he sure could use a new one. I keep thinking I should make him one but it isn't too high on my list yet - probably because I don't really know how to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Confused Quilter sent me over - what a lovely project you're setting up. I also think it would be a good idea to ask the Shelter which they'd prefer, but think you might have a good niche market for your 'woof warmers'(?!) if you chose to sell them.
    Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Carolyn, thanks for reminding me your giveaway!!!! I agree with the others, ask them what they prefer. For our black labrador a dogcoat is not necessary, so i prefer the pouch. , if I should be the winner.........

    ReplyDelete
  26. i think those who have suggested you ask the shelter its preference have a good idea. also, someone else pointed this out, but if you sell the coats, you will have to pay income tax on the sales , which is not too good for you. good luck. this is such a wonderful thing for you to do.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Although I'm a dog lover, my doggies have gone off to "college". Wait.. Many of my fiends and family have dogs so I like the dogcoat! I could make dog coats for many of them! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi my dear Carolyn, I'm sorry I've read about your giveaway just now. I was out, at the seaside, with my boy during last ten days. Your box pouch is so lovely! My two dogs are rescue dogs and I'm used to donate money to the dog pound of my area, but I think that make and sell/donate dogs coats is a great idea!
    I hope you and the family are fine and in a new house right now. Talk soon by mail.
    Hugs
    Eli

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you, so don't be shy!